Ryan's Code Projects

Blog and showcase of Ryan Pridgeon

3D Solar System with C++/OpenGL

It’s been years since I’ve posted on here, but I think it’s time I started it up again. I thought I’d start by showcasing a little bit of what I’ve been working on during the absence. Expect more posts to come!

I wrote a realtime simulation of the solar system in C++ with OpenGL about a year ago, and just made a Youtube video to showcase it. Here it is!

I used GLUT for the windowing and OpenGL with all the graphics. I implemented my own vector and matrix operations to create the camera system, which allows 3 degrees of freedom using the keyboard controls by having an up vector, right vector, forward vector and position which are converted into the camera transform matrix, as well as my own TGA loader for the textures.

You can find a Windows build of the 3D OpenGL/C++ Solar System here. Just unzip and run.

Enjoy 🙂

Update 06/02/2015: I’ve now released the source code for the Solar System project!

Categorised as: My Project Showcase

13 Comments

1. ridlo says:

Its amazing.. I still newbie on openGL, may I have your code to learn how to texturing and create the camera system? 😀

2. Suraj Shrestha says:

awwww this is really amazing can,, you send me your code!!! i would learn so much from this!! Thanks in advance !!!

3. Izi says:

pls can u give me your code?)

4. Jonas says:

Hello,

your job is GREAT!!!!

I really wonder how to implement it. Do you mind to send me source code?

5. Adit says:

Did you get a chance to upload the code? The code would be really useful to me in creating a interactive Solar System simulation for the primary school kids at my school.

Thanks,
    Adit

6. DEEPAK BARAIK says:

Please can you send me your code….I am need of it for my college assignment.

7. Arifur Rahman says:

its amazing!!! i want to learn OpenGL. can i have the source code of this project please.

8. Puneet says:

Hi Ryan,

It’s really great piece of work.

It would be really helpful and good learning guide for me. Can you please email or share your code with me.

I would really appreciate for your support. Thank you.

Regards
    Puneet

9. Danielle says:

Hey 🙂
    Your project is so cool 😀
    Can you please share your code? I have a Graphics course at college and it would help me a lot to learn from this. Thanks and keep up with the good work!

10. Hello Ryan. This is a great. Would you mind sharing your code with me? I’m very interested in texture mapping spheres. Thanks in advance for your help.